First of all, let me start by saying that I do believe the best wedding flowers come from professional florists. That being said, there are a number of crafty brides on strict budgets who may be thinking about “Do It Yourself” (DIY) wedding flowers. Here is some advice if you are contemplating doing your own floral bouquets and/or centerpiece
Here are tips 1 through 5, for the full post with 12 tips for DIY Flowers, see The DC Ladies.
1) Make DIY flowers your only *big* project; while some people may be able to bake, cook and arrange flowers at the same time – most of us do not have the time or energy to do it all!
2) Decide what supplies you will need and order everything in advance, such as: scissors, buckets, pins, floral tape, floral foam, vases (opaque is best if using floral foam)
3) Plan ahead how everything will be transported to the wedding ceremony and reception, as well as who will be doing this. As a wedding coordinator, I have worked with couples to transport flowers for some of my brides. Others have had really good family friends deliver and set-up.
4) Choose a few types of flowers and focus on simple designs. The more flowers you select and the more intricate designs you want, the less successful DIY flowers will be. Also, think about the weather and conditions of your wedding site when selecting flowers; some flowers are heartier and some will wilt in the heat and humidity.
5) Make samples of everything ahead of time, and give yourself enough time to order and/or make changes if necessary!